About Me

Welcome to a blog about a film-maker, one who could be described as a story teller with an experimental approach to technology.

Hello, my name is James Tomkinson and this is my microscopic slice of the world wide web which should give an idea of what I do.

I think we can agree that people make films in a number of different genres. Mine is drama, a human story of either fact or fiction recreated in a gripping performance. Although that isn’t a dictionary definition it is what I write and capture either ‘in camera’ or on-stage.

An interest in building things has stayed with me throughout my younger years. I have to admit my DIY skills could use a little polishing yet that didn’t stop me from designing and refining the designs for my stereoscopic 3D rig since 2010 the results of which are on my YouTube channel.

Feel free to have a look around.

Tuesday 28 October 2014

Filming with three cameras simultaneously


#0017 


The above photo depicts a revision to my Mk4 3D rig.

This is my Mk4v2 3D/2D rig, which allows me to combine the best out of each system. The 3D setup allows me to create stereoscopic video but limits my shooting style to ‘zooming with my feet’ and can struggle with low light environments whilst the 2D has much better image quality in both day light and dark environments and also allows me to use different lenses for both artistic and practical reasons depending on the location of the shoot.

I grant you this is simply a combination of two systems that are working independently from each other but it give me a new challenge whilst shooting as I feel that I’ve been getting rather comfortable filming with my Mk4 3D setup and this will push my filming capabilities just a little further.

The results from the first test with this setup are already in and I have embedded them below.

One thing I thought would be a problem was the lenses from my VG20 creeping into the shot on my GoPro’s. With my 55-300 lens plus its hood this isn’t an issue, although my 500mm prime is just a little bit too long, not that I would be attempting steady-rig or hand-held footage with that lens anyway.

3D Version

2D Version

No comments:

Post a Comment